YouTuber and political commentator A. Shankar, popularly known as ‘Savukku’ Shankar, walked out of Puzhal prison on Friday, days after the Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK)-led government revoked the Goondas Act detention slapped on him by the previous DMK regime .
The release came after a statutory Advisory Board unanimously concluded that there was “no sufficient cause” for his continued detention under the Tamil Nadu Preventive Detention Act, 1982 .
How the release happened
Shankar was formally released after the Tamil Nadu Home Department issued an order on May 19, revoking the preventive detention order that had been passed by the Greater Chennai Police Commissioner on April 9 .
The Advisory Board, constituted under the Act, examined the grounds of detention and related records. It also heard Shankar’s oral submissions before arriving at its unanimous opinion that no adequate justification existed for keeping him confined .
“The Advisory Board has expressed its unanimous opinion that there is no sufficient cause for the detention of Thiru A Shankar @ Savukku Shankar. Accordingly, the Government, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of section 12 of Tamil Nadu Act 14 of 1982, hereby revoke the order of detention,” the Home Department order stated .
Following this, the Madras High Court closed the habeas corpus petition challenging Shankar’s detention on May 20, rendering it infructuous .
What Shankar said after walking out
Speaking to reporters after his release, Shankar expressed appreciation for the new TVK-led coalition government’s decision .
“It is my wish that the coalition government formed by the TVK completes its five-year governance and implements…” he said, according to media reports, without completing the statement .
Multiple legal cases continue
While the Goondas Act detention has been revoked, Shankar continues to face multiple criminal cases across Tamil Nadu .
He was initially arrested on April 8, 2026, and was classified as a “goonda” under the preventive detention law the following day . The Goondas Act detention was premised on an attempt-to-murder case, though a court had subsequently granted him bail in that matter .
The Madras High Court had separately granted Shankar conditional bail last week in a case accusing him of throwing stones at police personnel during his transit to Chennai following his arrest .
Additionally, on May 20, the High Court granted him conditional bail in a defamation and extortion case linked to the film ‘Red and Follow’, observing that the police investigation had been completed and a charge sheet had already been filed .
Background: A controversial figure
Shankar, a former government employee who was suspended from the Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption (DVAC), runs a popular YouTube channel called ‘Savukku Media’. He is known for his sharp, often controversial, criticism of political figures and government functioning .
This marked the third time Shankar’s preventive detention has been set aside. His first detention order was quashed by the Madras High Court in August 2024 . The DMK government had previously invoked the Goondas Act against him twice .
Despite his release from preventive detention, Shankar remains required to appear before police stations in connection with other cases. The Madras High Court, while granting him bail in the defamation matter, directed him to appear daily before the Adambakkam Police Station until further orders .