Three students allegedly died by suicide after the National Testing Agency (NTA) cancelled the NEET-UG 2026 examination following a paper leak earlier this week. Over 22 lakh students were affected by the cancellation, many of whom spent years preparing for one of the country’s toughest competitive exams held on May 3.
For some aspirants, families say, the sudden cancellation and the stress that came with it became emotionally devastating. A re-examination is now scheduled for June 21.
Rajasthan student found dead in rented room
In Rajasthan’s Sikar, a NEET aspirant allegedly died by suicide on Friday. Police said the student was living in a rented room with his two sisters while preparing for NEET for the last three years.
He allegedly hanged himself using his sister’s scarf. His father told police that his son’s examination had gone well and the family expected him to score nearly 650 marks.
Former Rajasthan deputy chief minister Sachin Pilot expressed grief and said repeated paper leaks and exam cancellations were affecting students’ mental health.
‘The cancellation left him emotionally shattered’
A 21-year-old NEET aspirant allegedly died by suicide at his home in Uttar Pradesh’s Lakhimpur Kheri. This was his third attempt. According to his family, he was highly confident of clearing the examination this time.
“He was under immense mental stress after the NEET exams were cancelled following reports of a paper leak,” his father told reporters. “The cancellation left him emotionally shattered.”
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi reacted strongly on X: “‘No more competitive exams now’. These were the last words of 21-year-old from Lakhimpur Kheri. This child, appearing for NEET for the third time, broke down the moment the exam was cancelled.”
He added: “In Goa too, a NEET aspirant took his own life. These children didn’t lose to the exams – they were killed by a corrupt system. This isn’t suicide – it’s murder by the system.”
Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav demanded ₹2 crore ex gratia compensation for the family and the removal of ministers heading departments linked to NEET-UG 2026.
Delhi aspirant was hopeful of clearing exam
In Delhi’s Azadpur area, a 20-year-old woman allegedly died by suicide at her residence. According to her twin sister, she had been preparing for medical entrance examinations since completing Class 12.
“She wanted to be a doctor,” her sister told Hindustan Times. “In her previous attempt, she was just short of four marks. This time, when she took the exam on May 3, she was very hopeful that she would clear the exam.”
Her younger brother said she was upset after hearing about the cancellation.
Government response
Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan has announced that the NEET-UG re-examination will now be held on June 21 and said the government is following a “zero tolerance” policy towards irregularities.
The CBI has already arrested the alleged kingpin of the paper leak – a Pune-based chemistry professor who was part of the NTA panel that set the question paper.
Help is available
If you or someone you know is struggling with emotional distress or suicidal thoughts, help is available. Please reach out to a mental health professional or contact a suicide prevention helpline: Aasra (022 2754 6669), Sneha India Foundation (+914424640050), or Sanjivini (011-24311918)