Exactly a year after getting drubbed by India during Operation Sindoor, Pakistan’s Chief of Defence Staff and Chief of Army Staff, Field Marshal Asim Munir, is at it again — threatening India that any future “misadventure” against Pakistan would bring “extremely widespread, dangerous, far-reaching and painful” consequences for the enemy.
Munir issued the threat while attending an event at the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi as the chief guest, in the presence of Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Zaheer Ahmed Babar Sidhu and Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Naveed Ashraf, according to a report by Pakistani newspaper Dawn.
The threat comes on the first anniversary of the 2025 conflict between India and Pakistan, which saw India’s overnight strikes decimate terror camps in Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
What Asim Munir Said
Addressing the gathering, Munir said, “Our enemies should know that if any attempt is made in the future to carry out a misadventure against Pakistan, then the impact of war would not be limited, but extremely widespread, dangerous, far-reaching and painful.”
At the start of his speech, he called the day a “source of pride” for Pakistan, its people, and the armed forces — a striking statement given that the 2025 conflict ended with significant losses for Pakistan.
Munir claimed that the “enemy made a failed attempt to test our resolve by violating the sovereignty and territory of Pakistan” between the intervening nights of May 6-7 and May 10. He added that this was answered “with full national unity and military force.”
‘A Battle Between Two Ideologies’
The Army chief further claimed that the conflict between the two sides “was not merely a traditional war fought between two countries or militaries, but in reality, it was a decisive marka (battle) between two ideologies, in which, thanks to Allah, the truth won and falsehood was defeated.”
He also referenced past conflicts, saying, “The false flag operations of 2001, 2008, 2016 and 2019 are a testament that even in the past, India has made failed attempts to impose an illegitimate war on Pakistan and achieve narrow-minded, long-term political and military objectives through allegations, exaggeration, warmongering and misleading imagination of limited aggression.”
Reiterating his earlier warning, Munir once again said that if “Pakistan’s enemies” undertook any such move in the future, the effects of war would not remain limited.
Not Munir’s First Threat to India
This was not Munir’s first threat to New Delhi in the past year. Last December, after being elevated to the post of Chief of Defence Forces, Munir warned New Delhi against harbouring any “delusion” about Pakistan’s battle readiness, promising a “swifter, more severe, and more intense” response. Going a step further, he said he would target Indian infrastructure and dams along the Indus River.
In August, while delivering a speech at a US diaspora event, he reportedly said, “We are a nuclear nation. If we think we are going down, we’ll take half the world down with us.”
Background: What Was Operation Sindoor?
Operation Sindoor was launched by India in response to the Pakistan-sponsored terror attack in Pahalgam in April last year (2025). On May 7, India’s overnight strikes decimated nine terror camps in Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
Pakistan responded with its own strikes and drone attacks. But by May 10 — a day before Islamabad dialled Delhi for a ceasefire — India had brought Pakistan to its knees by conducting precision strikes on its military assets and infrastructure, including airbases and radar sites.
The Anniversar irony: ‘Pride’ vs. ‘Drubbing’
The timing of Munir’s speech has raised eyebrows among analysts. While he called the day a “source of pride” for Pakistan, the military reality of Operation Sindoor tells a different story. Indian strikes had successfully targeted terror infrastructure, and Pakistan was forced to seek a ceasefire after suffering significant damage to its military assets.
Munir’s repeated threats — about dams, about infrastructure, about nuclear retaliation — are seen by many as an attempt to project strength after a military defeat.
India’s Position
The Indian government has not officially responded to Munir’s latest statement. However, defence analysts point out that India has consistently maintained its right to take pre-emptive action against terror launch pads across the border. Operation Sindoor demonstrated India’s capability to carry out precision strikes deep inside enemy territory with minimal collateral damage.
As one Indian official had said at the time of the operation, “The rules of the game have changed. India will no longer wait for another attack to happen.”
What ‘Widespread, Dangerous and Painful’ Could Mean
Munir’s language — “extremely widespread, dangerous, far-reaching and painful” — suggests a threat of escalation beyond conventional warfare. Given Pakistan’s known nuclear doctrine and his past statements about “taking half the world down,” analysts interpret this as a veiled nuclear threat.
However, others argue that such rhetoric is primarily for domestic consumption — to boost morale within the Pakistani military and to project resolve to the public after an embarrassing military defeat.
The Nuclear Dimension
Munir’s August comment — “If we think we are going down, we’ll take half the world down with us” — remains one of his most alarming statements. It echoed a long-standing concern about Pakistan’s tactical nuclear weapons and its doctrine of “first use” in case of conventional military defeat.
India, for its part, has a “no first use” nuclear policy but has made clear that any use of weapons of mass destruction against India would invite “massive retaliation.”
Summary of Munir’s Threats Over the Past Year
Over the past twelve months, Asim Munir has issued multiple threats to India. Last December, after becoming Chief of Defence Forces, he warned New Delhi against any “delusion” about Pakistan’s battle readiness and promised to target Indian infrastructure and dams along the Indus River. In August, at a US diaspora event, he made the nuclear threat about taking half the world down. And now, on the Operation Sindoor anniversary, he has warned that any future “misadventure” would bring “extremely widespread, dangerous, far-reaching and painful” consequences for the enemy.
What Analysts Are Saying
Defence analysts are divided on how seriously to take Munir’s threats. Some argue that Pakistan’s conventional military capabilities have been significantly degraded and that nuclear rhetoric is a sign of weakness, not strength. Others point out that even a weakened Pakistan remains a dangerous neighbor, with a large standing army, ballistic missiles, and nuclear weapons.
One analyst told a news agency, “Munir is speaking to his own people, not to India. He needs to show that Pakistan’s military is still capable and relevant. But the reality is that Operation Sindoor changed the equation permanently. India has demonstrated that it can strike hard and fast, and Pakistan’s response was inadequate.”